Sunday 3 August 2008

Curses!

Hmmm, do I swear too much? I’ve always felt that the English language in all of its forms should be enjoyed and used. That includes so-called rude words.

These words are actually only offensive because modern society has deemed them thus. The words are usually shorthand for a person to vent their frustraton, exaggerate a situation or attack another.

You can do all three without swearing. I can put enough vitriol into a sentence without using a single rude word and cause more offense than an f-bomb.

In fact, people that tell me to fuck off probably won’t upset me. And yet “f-off you fat (anything)” will upset me far more.

Any words can hurt or offend depending on the intention and the emotion within them.

Interpersonal communication theory teaches us that the medium isn’t the message.

And so I use curse words in my everyday speak. Perhaps not much in the shop and not when I first meet people per se, but it is part of my vocabulary and so on.

If it does offend anyone, please just let me know. I don’t agree with you but I can respect your beliefs and try to moderate my language in your company.

But please, don’t judge me as being any less intelligent just because I don’t speak Queen’s fucking English. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment