Thursday 25 March 2010

One man's trash is another man's treasure

CUSTOMER: Do you buy second hand graphic novels?
ME: Nope
CUSTOMER: Rarrgh, *splutter* why not? Rarrgh, I have good things. You're wrong. Change your entire business model. We want a comic shop in this town and you will fail without buying my books. Mark my words, you will FAIL! I haven't bought comics for about a decade, but when I lived in Brighton we had a lot of comic shops and they all bought and sold older stuff!
ME: I've worked in comic shops for over a decade sir and the back issue market has dwindled in stores with the rise of eBay, etc.
CUSTOMER: Pah.

I get a variation on this regularly.

Every time I do new advertising, I am inundated with calls. Yay. But mostly from people wanting to sell me stuff.

Buying second-hand stuff from people does tend to generate more ill will then turning them down cold. Second-hand stuff is bought in the hope of selling it rather than ordering to new trends or reservation orders.

So you have to cherry pick the best stuff, often annoying the customer that you haven't bought it all. Or you buy it all at a job lot price for peanuts, and they become angry that you haven't given them top dollar for it.

A comic may be worth £20. But a shop can't give you that for it then sell it for the same. They make no money, and thus the sale does nothing to contribute to the costs of rent, utilities, business rates, music licensing, business insurance, PDQ terminal rent, etc.

And it there's no guarantee it will sell in the next few months like the new sotck from Previews, so a lower price must be offered.

Then there's space. Storing and presenting old stock in a small shop like mine is problematic.

So between these considerations, eBay and the current economic climate - I chose when I opened not to buy back issues or second hand graphic novels as a rule.

I sell some back issues on commission for a local customer, who was smart enough to get in early and make me a canny offer. We have a good working relationship and should I wish to end that arrangement, I could. And then repurpose that part of the shop for something else.

Frankly, if I bought old comics and graphic novels from everyone who offers it to me, I'd probably be in debt right now.

The purpose of this blog entry? Well today's customer get right in my face. His body language was threatening and he becmae bullying. It was unsettling and just noting my position on it all helps to banish any ill feeling form the encounter.

Right at the end, he changed tack. He began to say that he wanted to see a comic shop in Cheltenham and hoped we'd continue. He went on to mention another retailer in the town and say that they'd spoken of Proud Lion together recently, both saying that they hoped we'd thrive.

"Well, we've been here for two years," I pointed out.

"Have you?" he choked.

I have to add, I have never seen this gentleman before either.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment