Friday 8 January 2010

Wondering about the colour status thing on Facebook?

Here's the transcript of a wonderful internet altercation I had yesterday. I present it here without editorial at this time other than to say I lost all four grandparents to cancer effectively, so let's assume my card is marked.

Cancer is no laughing matter, but being English I cope with many things using humour. Often inappropriate humour.

However I will mention that another friend suggested we use the Bristol Stool Scale and simply post status saying "Ben is a 4", etc. By the end of the day yesterday 4 or 5 male friends were joining in.

Right here we go, the names have been edited to protect the innocent.

Adie Knits-A-Lot
What's with all these colour status'? Colour me confused!
Yesterday at 14:31

Matt Evil (no relation)
It's a secret girl thing where they're disclosing their bra colours for breast cancer awareness or something.
Yesterday at 14:32

Adie Knits-A-Lot
Why do you know secret girl things b4 I do?
Yesterday at 14:37

Benneth
Yeah, nothing raises awareness like alienating a whole gender. "Shhh, don't tell the boys. Tee hee." Grow up, it's fucking schoolyard.
I'm all for raising breast cancer awareness and all cancer awareness. But the 'secret girl thing' aspect of this is juvenile.
Boys, to raise awareness of prostate cancer lets secretly tell each other the consistency of our morning bowel movements...
Yesterday at 14:39

Matt Evil (no relation)
I used a combination of my eyes and the colours that girls were posting to establish a visible correlation and extended it from there.
Yesterday at 14:45

Adie Knits-A-Lot
Ah, I finally got my message from "the girls" explaining what's going on!
Yesterday at 20:34

Shrill Hairdo Bond
Ben, I do feel you totally went over the line with that comment. This MIGHT have something to do with breast cancer awareness, I don't know, but this was all done in fun. If anyone is being juvenile it's you. It seems you have gotten all bent out of shape because you were not invited to join. If you would like to be invited then let me send you an ... See Moreemail. Cussing at us and trying to put us down for having fun and maybe bring awareness to someone about their body was inappropriate and made me embarrassed for you.
Yesterday at 21:19

Benneth
Erm, because it was secret, how the hell would I have known who to email in the first place?
Get your head out of you rear. I have raised money and awareness by supporting several friends who have done the Moonwalk.
Frankly anything that is designed to confuse others is elitist and immature.
Yesterday at 21:36

Shrill Hairdo Bond
"Erm", you obviously didnt read my comment very well. I said I would send YOU an invite since you got so bent out of shape for not being involved.....sometimes you just cant fix stupid.
Yesterday at 21:48

Benneth
Melody, we have never met. But feel free to make a sweeping judgement. I should know better than to rise to abuse on the internet. People say things they would never say in real life. My original comments were aimed at no specific person, merely the superiority concept involved in excluding men. Farewell and good night. I'm still a 4 by the way...
Yesterday at 21:56

No comments:

Post a Comment