Wednesday 12 November 2008

The closest I will ever get to talking about religion and theology

I babble on about Babylon 5 more often than perhaps I should but perhaps because within it, whilst writing for Delenn, JMS gets closer to my feelings about the theology and belief than anyone else ever as. More eloquent than I could be. Granted, it is twee in places but there you go.

Here are the lines that best sum my feelings up -

“Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff, we are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective.”

Ambassador Delenn, A Distant Star

“We do not have cats on Minbar, we have gogs.”
“Gogs?”
“Gogs. Such creatures are an attempt by the universe to make sure that we never take ourselves too seriously.”

Delenn and Sheridan, A Race Through Dark Places

“Don’t look away, Captain. All life is transitory, a dream. We all come together in the same place, at the end of time. If I don’t see you again here, I will see you, in a little while, in a place where no shadows fall.”
Delenn, Confessions and Lamentations

“What does the candle represent?”
“Life.”
“Whose life?”
“All life, every life. We’re all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else’s. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it’s gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it. So many candles will go out tonight. I wonder some days if we can see anything at all.”

Sheridan and Delenn, And All My Dreams, Torn Asunder

No comments:

Post a Comment